- Can you affirm that you are applying on behalf of a 501(c)(3) and provide documentation as such?
- If yes, what percentage of your budget is spent on programs, as opposed to overhead (staff salaries, rent, etc.)? May we see a detailed breakdown of your annual spending? Please note that we rarely consider applicants whose programs account for less than 70% of their spending.
- How does your organization complement or help to fulfill our mission?
- Has your charity been listed by Guidestar or ranked on Charity Navigator? Please submit a link to your page on the relevant non-profit database if so.
If you feel you can capably answer the above questions, proceed to our GRANT APPLICATION GUIDELINES.
Grant Application Guidelines
The following is a starting point from which to structure your application. You need not answer every question in order when you submit a proposal, but each element must be addressed adequately for a gift to be considered.
- We give to organizations with sensible, sustainable systems of governance. Describe the structure of your board, staff, and volunteers. Who is paid, unpaid, full-time, part-time, etc.? How do you recruit members to your board?
- Describe your fundraising strategy. How do you solicit donations? Who makes up your primary donor base?
- How do you plan to move forward and make necessary changes to pre-existing procedures, policies, and strategies in light of the pandemic?
- Please describe the community you serve, including demographics, region, at-risk groups, etc.
- What other relevant grants have you received over the past three years? Who were their grantors? How, specifically, did you use these gifts?
- Which organizations, if any, has the RZF given to in the past that align with yours? How do your solutions or contributions differ from theirs?
- What specific endeavor or project would you like RZF to help you with? Is there a particular time of year when a gift would make the highest impact (e.g. matching fundraiser)?
- Please attach or enclose
- an up-to-date copy of your bylaws
- documentation of your 501(c)(3) status
- a detailed budget from the past year
Examples of groups we might want to reach out to: Virginia Foodshed Capital, Allegheny Mountain Institute, Virginia Humanities, Discovery Museum of Harrisonburg, Southern Environmental Law Center, Blue Ridge CASA for Children